Opportunity Zone Basics
Qualified Opportunity Zones were created by the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, designed to spur economic development and job creation in distressed and low-income communities by providing a capital gains reinvestment mechanism that defers and reduces and excludes tax liability on gains from qualified investments.
An Opportunity Zone is a community that has been nominated by the stated and certified by the Treasury Department as qualifying for this program.
- Investment in an Asset (real estate, business, infrastructure, etc.)
- The asset is located in an Opportunity Zone
- Capital originates from a recent capital gains
- Investment to occur before 2036
- Tax liability payment deferral until 2026
- 10% step-up in basis if held a minimum of 5 years & invested by 2021
- 100% federal capital gains tax exclusion on sale, if held for a minimum of 10 years.
There are approximately 8,700 Opportunity Zones identified throughout the US.
Qualified Opportunity Zone Fund
Any investment vehicle which is organized as a corporation or partnership for the purpose of investing in qualified opportunity zone property that holds at least 90% of its assets in a qualified opportunity zone.
Qualified Opportunity Zone Property
The three key funding structures that qualify for Opportunity Zones are as follows:
- Qualified Opportunity Stock
- Qualified Opportunity Zone Partnership
- Qualified Opportunity Zone Business Property
How do I find available deals?
State of the County brings together more than 1,000 business, government and community leaders to experience more on what makes San Bernardino County a leading choice for business investment and job creation.
The manufacturing sector is going strong in San Bernardino County. Learn how we help manufacturers get started and grow.Learn More
The retail market in San Bernardino County is rapidly expanding. Through site selection and more, we help retail businesses thrive.Learn More
Our county has been the backdrop for countless movie, TV, and video productions. Get the details on bringing your production here.Learn More
San Bernardino County is an inviting destination; a vast outdoor playground amid the bustling excitement of Southern California.
We are dedicated to business growth and recognize that one important approach to enhancing current growth is through improving international trade.Learn More
San Bernardino County is uniquely positioned with the resources for businesses to start, grow, and thrive.Learn More
Estimated Assistance InformationLearn More